Smudging your house or space is an ancient Native American ritual used for blessing, purification, healing, clearing your energy and lifting your spirits. White Sage is the plant typically used in smudge sticks.
While pricing your home correctly and hiring the right agent for the job is an essential part of selling your home, you can also buy a smudging kit to assist you with the process of smudging and purifying your home properly.
If you choose this ritual to sell your home you will probably want to execute a smudging strategy daily early in the morning. It does produce a strong smokey incense type of smell but does dissipate quickly.
The basics of smudging are:
- Safety first – make sure you use a fire proof container to catch the white sage smudging ashes.
- Light the end of the smudge stick.
- Light a candle in the center of the house.
- Open doors to allow the negative energy to leave.
- Using your hand or a feather in circling motion, wave the smoke around. Consistently saying a blessing, prayer, intention or a positive affirmation. Imagine the place you are moving to while you are smudging.
- Move from corner to corner and make sure you work your way under beds and into closets.
- Seal the exterior of the home with sea salt.
- To extinguish, set the smudge stick in the fire proof container next to the lit candle and it will slowly burn itself out. Do not leave unattended until the smudge stick has completely burned out.
You can also google smudging a house for many other techniques and prayers to use. Good luck with your home sale!